Sienna Volunteer Value Statement
Volunteers at Sienna Senior Living help us cultivate happiness in daily life for residents in our communities. When you give us the gift of your time, you are contributing to making someone’s day better; someone’s life more enjoyable. In turn, we’ll strive to provide you with a meaningful experience that harnesses your unique talents, while also encouraging your personal growth. Join our volunteer team to share your passion with others, and to help residents feel better than they ever thought possible.
Volunteer Roles and Opportunities at Sienna
There are a variety of activities that volunteers can support at our communities. Whether it is engaging with residents or supporting our team with everyday tasks, we have something for you! Here are some examples of volunteer roles at Sienna:
- Supporting with resident outings (picnics, local animal sanctuaries, restaurants)
- Friendly visits with residents (discussing current events, playing cards, painting, reminiscing, reading)
- Helping recreation team members with programs (Bingo, monthly birthday parties, manicures)
- Helping in the dining room (eating assistance, supporting residents to get to/from meal times)
- Clerical tasks (filing, photocopying, creating posters for special events)
- Supporting technology (Virtual Reality programs with residents, teaching residents how to navigate the internet and use technology)
- Pastoral care (visiting with residents, supporting with religious/spiritual programming)
- Virtual support including one-to-one visits, conducting resident trivia programs, or to provide Family Peer Support
At Sienna, we will also work with you to develop a volunteer schedule that meets your needs. If you are looking to volunteer monthly, weekly, or for just special events, we can accommodate your requests.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Provides you with a sense of purpose
- Opportunities to develop meaningful relationships with residents, families and team members
- Contributes to improved health and vitality
- Teaches valuable skills and allows you the opportunity to share your skills with others
Keeping You Safe
At Sienna, we value the important role volunteers play in helping us create a warm and engaging experience for residents. While you are with us, your safety is also our top priority. The following Infection, Prevention and Control practices have been put in place to protect residents, families, team members and volunteers:
- Masking is optional and self-determined, based on a point-of-care risk assessment (PCRA).
- Practice hand hygiene while onsite
- Avoid visiting if you are feeling unwell
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer with Sienna, the first step is to locate a Sienna community near you. Please follow this link for a listing of all communities in Ontario, and this link for all communities in BC. Once you have identified the community in your area, please contact them directly and ask to speak to the Director of Resident Programs/Volunteer Lead to express your interest in volunteering.
The Director of Resident Programs/Volunteer Lead will ask you to complete a Volunteer Application Form for either in-person or virtual volunteering. In order to support the application process, you can click here to download a copy of the Volunteer Application Form or click here to download a copy of the Virtual Volunteer Application Form.
The Director of Resident Programs/Volunteer Lead will review the completed Volunteer Application Form with you and guide you through the next steps to becoming a volunteer.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Sienna!
Volunteer Application Form
Virtual Volunteer Application Form
The following will be required prior to volunteering with Sienna:
- Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screen
- Completion of a current two-step TB test
- All individuals entering our communities are strongly encouraged to stay up to date with all recommended COVID-19 vaccine doses and obtain their COVID-19 booster doses when eligible
- Flu vaccination is also highly recommended
Take a look at some of our volunteers
Residents and volunteers enjoying some time outdoors during a volunteer appreciation event at Langstaff Square Community.
Student volunteers also play an important role in life at our communities!
Our residents also volunteer their time to support the communities they live in.
Learn firsthand from our volunteers why they enjoy supporting our care communities:
“Being a palliative volunteer brings me so much joy to comfort someone in their final moments; to be a small part in their ‘book of life’. I also try to help family members understand what is happening, and answer their questions and expectations”. – Pat P.
“I like helping with the bingo and it gives me an outing too!” – Maureen N.
“Being an empty nester I was looking for something to do with my free time. I decided to try volunteering at Granite Ridge and haven’t looked back. The connections I’ve made and the stories I’ve heard are simply amazing”. – Lynn J.
“It’s a joyful experience [volunteering]. Their eyes light up when we gather them for our cribbage group. They just love it”. – Eleanor B.