Sienna Volunteer Value Statement
Volunteers help Sienna Senior Living bring our mission to life – to help residents live fully every day. When you give us the gift of your time, you are contributing to making someone’s day better, someone’s life more enjoyable. Join us and help spread the warmth of human connection. In turn, we’ll strive to provide you with a meaningful experience that harnesses your unique talents, while also encouraging your personal growth. Join our volunteer team to share your passion with others, and to help residents feel better than they ever thought possible.
Volunteer Roles and Opportunities at Sienna
There are a variety of activities that volunteers can support with at our care communities. Whether it is engaging with residents or supporting our team with every day tasks, we have something for you! Here are some examples of volunteer roles at Sienna:
- Supporting with resident outings (picnics, local animal sanctuaries, restaurants)
- Friendly visits with residents (discussing current events, playing cards, painting, reminiscing, reading)
- Helping recreation team members with programs (Bingo, monthly birthday parties, manicures)
- Helping in the dining room (eating assistance, supporting residents get to and from meal times)
- Clerical tasks (filing, photocopying, creating posters for special events)
- Supporting technology (Virtual Reality programs with residents, teaching residents how to navigate the internet and use technology)
- Pastoral care (visiting with residents, supporting with religious/spiritual programming)
At Sienna, we work with you to develop a volunteer schedule that meets your needs. If you are looking to volunteer monthly, weekly, or for just special events, we can accommodate your requests.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Provides you with a sense of purpose
- Develop meaningful relationships with residents, families and team members
- Contributes to improved health and vitality
- Teaches valuable skills and allows you the opportunity to share your skills with others
The following will be required prior to volunteering with Sienna:
- Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screen
- Completion of a current two-step TB test
- At least two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine (proof of vaccination is required)
- Flu vaccination (highly recommended)
Keeping You Safe
At Sienna we value the important role volunteers play in helping us create a warm and engaging experience for residents. However, your safety is our top priority. The following Infection, Prevention and Control practices have been put in place to protect residents, families, team members and volunteers:
- Upon entry, complete a COVID-19 screening questionnaire
- Complete a Rapid Antigen Test as outlined in the current directives
- Wear a mask while onsite
- Practice hand hygiene while onsite
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer with Sienna, the first step is to locate a Sienna care community near you. Please follow this link for a listing of all care communities in Ontario, and this link for all care communities in BC. Once you have identified the care community in your area, please contact them directly and ask to speak to the Director of Resident Programs/Volunteer Lead to express your interest in volunteering.
The Director of Resident Programs/Volunteer Lead will ask you to complete a Volunteer Application Form for either in-person or virtual volunteering. In order to support the application process, you can click here to download a copy of the Volunteer Application Form or click here to download a copy of the Virtual Volunteer Application Form.
The Director of Resident Programs/Volunteer Lead will review the completed Volunteer Application Form with you and guide you through the next steps to becoming a volunteer.
Thank-you for your interest in volunteering with Sienna!
Volunteer Application Form
Virtual Volunteer Application Form
Take a look at some of our volunteers
Hank the Therapy Dog
Hank is a pet therapy dog with St. John’s Ambulance who the visits with residents at Glenmore Lodge. He helps bring a sense of calmness to the residents, who truly enjoy his visits!
Praise the Lord Church Volunteers
Seven volunteers from Praise the Lord Church visit Cheltenham Care Community and perform a hymn sing program with the residents. The volunteers said they feel honoured to be able to provide the service (hymn sing) to the residents.
Bev at Trillium Care Community
Bev is a volunteer at Trillium Care Community. She is pictured here with Bill. Bev has volunteered at Trillium for 11 years! She says she loves spending time with residents and helping the recreation team at Trillium.
Mary and Kayla
Kayla, Director of Resident Programs at Granite Ridge, with volunteer Mary, receiving her volunteer certificate at a volunteer appreciation event (pre-pandemic).
Learn firsthand from our volunteers why they enjoy supporting our care communities:
“Being a palliative volunteer brings me so much joy to comfort someone in their final moments; to be a small part in their ‘book of life’. I also try to help family members understand what is happening, and answer their questions and expectations”. – Pat P.
“I like helping with the bingo and it gives me an outing too!” – Maureen N.
“Being an empty nester I was looking for something to do with my free time. I decided to try volunteering at Granite Ridge and haven’t looked back. The connections I’ve made and the stories I’ve heard are simply amazing”. – Lynn J.
“It’s a joyful experience [volunteering]. Their eyes light up when we gather them for our cribbage group. They just love it”. – Eleanor B.